POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lucy in the sky with diamonds... : Re: Lucy in the sky with diamonds... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lucy in the sky with diamonds...
From: Andrew
Date: 14 Mar 2003 14:32:35
Message: <3e722e53$1@news.povray.org>
You're using the correct IOR for diamond, right?  I don't have access to
any real diamonds to test this (oddly enough), but I don't think they
show much in the way of caustics.  A quick test with pov seems to
confirm this - try rendering the example scene straight from the Insert
menu, then try it again with an IOR of 2.47.  The bright spots on the
ground certainly don't look so neat.

Also, (I might just be making this up here) I think that the diamond
cuts are designed to reflect light back out towards the "user" :)  In
other words, all the sparkle comes straight back at you when you look at
them set in a ring, hence their sparkly appeal.

On a seperate note, where did you get the geometry?  And are they meshes
or CSG?  I've only ever found CSG versions of povray diamonds, and I
didn't have much luck turning up a geometrical description of a cut
detailed enough to make a mesh from when I searched.